Remanufacture Your Substation Transformer
Why Remanufacturing Wins
“They don’t make ‘em like they used to.” Your substation transformer is valuable. Don’t throw that away: remanufacture, reuse, and save. In the 20th century, substation transformers were designed with reliability in mind—thick steel tanks, spacious tank interiors, and plenty of copper. This “greater design margin” approach kept substation transformers running cooler, extending their life expectancy. Solid, older substation transformers are the key to remanufacturing America’s power grid to be stronger than ever.
Value for You
Remanufacturing Substation Transformer Process Flow
Full IEEE Testing*
* indicates typical customer witnessing opportunities during the process
Dedicated Remanufacturing Facility Capabilities
Rewinding means a custom rebuild for your unique transformer and substation requirements.
This effort requires and is performed in our dedicated 70,000 sq foot remanufacturing facility situated on 15 acres in Jordan, MN, which contains:
- Winding room environmentally controlled
- 9 specialized winding machines with an 80-ton and 200-ton coil sizing apparatus
- Core and coil assembly room temperature controlled
- Drying oven for completed coil assemblies
- Drying oven for completed core and coil assemblies
- Sandblasting booth, external dedicated building
- 8 separate oil tanks (total 40,000-gallon oil farm)
- 8 storage buildings for components in waiting
- 13 cranes and hoists
- An 80-ton overhead crane
- A 50-ton overhead crane
- Two paint booths with high ceiling for transformers and components
- Hot oil processing system—customized for transformer application
- Welding cell 3,600 sq ft with 50-ft ceiling
The dedicated test facility
- Impulse and partial discharge testing
- Impulse generator GTU 1000 kV - 50 kJ with SDA12-bit digital scope
- 300 kVA / 180 Hz generator with partial discharge monitoring
- 300 kV hi-pot transformer
Experience Remanufacturing These OEM Transformers
Available Upgrade Options
A1: Reusing the core steel and tank of an existing transformer offers substantial savings in both price and lead time.
A2: The savings are even more dramatic when reusing the LTC within a transformer, which is often!
A3: Our turnaround time is typically months less than new OEM manufacturers which require extensive design time for new transformers.
A4: No sacrifice in quality or life expectancy and all transformers are upgraded to today’s short circuit design standards.
A5: Your remanufactured transformer will have a drop-in form, fit, and function, whereas new typically requires substation design modifications.